Student News The Student Way

FBLA Launches Operation Buckle Up

April 19, 2018

The Future Business Leaders of America, founded in 1940, by Hamden L. Forkner, is the oldest student organization in the country. For 20 years, North Augusta’s FBLA has been helping students step out of their comfort zone while preparing them for the real world.

This year’s FBLA project, “Operation: Buckle Up,” is designed to show students of North Augusta how much safer it is to wear your seat belt while driving. Project members first partnered with the South Carolina Department of Transportation to acquire custom seat belt and texting signs for the NAHS campus. The main idea or inspiration for this project was Ashlynn Overton, who passed away in a car accident in August. FBLA project members went to Mossy Creek Elementary to visit a first grade class to talk about seat belt safety. There, they taught students the “Seat Belt” song, and had students color “Safe Trip” magnets. On the road where Ashlynn’s accident occurred they also placed a sign that reads, “Buckle Up, it saves lives.”

“Every time I get in my car, I know to make sure everyone is buckled up,”said FBLA member Lauren Turnell. “It is so important to be safe on the roads.”

FBLA members also talked with Mr. Jason Holt, principal of Paul Knox Middle School, for permission to present Operation: Buckle Up to the middle school students. Benner Towing Services provided a wrecked truck to demonstrate the importance of wearing a seat belt. The students of Paul Knox also viewed a presentation during lunch, and later signed a school pledge poster for seat belt safety.

Prom Promise is a fifteen year tradition at North Augusta High School. Each day during Prom Promise week, there is something planned to encourage North Augusta students to drive safely . On Monday, FBLA members will thank bus drivers, by giving them Chick-fil-a sandwiches; Tuesday, the FBLA will come around during ILT, giving students a sticker that says, “I pledge to be a safe driver,” and if the FBLA members, see that on a students car, then that student will get a $10 Chick-fil-a gift card. Thursday, the students will walk around during ILT to take safer driver pledge photos with the students. Friday, is Prom Promise 2018.

The FBLA’s message is to include every student to let them know that it is not safe to drink and drive, and that seat belt safety is important. Lauren Turnell said,“FBLA is a big thing, and you can learn a lot from it. It is very helpful, and you get to meet new people along the way.”