All Hallow’s Eve

Aaliyah Martin, Desk Writer

Halloween has been around since 1846. It wasn’t always considered “Halloween”, it was once called “All Hallows’ Eve” or “Samhain.” Some people still call it Samhain, pronounced (sow-in). Millions of people in the world celebrate Halloween in a different way.

During Halloween time, people normally just decorate and dress up to go trick or treating. But can you believe that people in Mexico celebrate it differently? In Mexico, they celebrate Dia De Los Muertos, or Day of The Dead. Here in North Augusta, there is a Jack-O-Lantern Jubilee in downtown North Augusta. At the Jubilee, there is a lot of fun stuff to do!  At the Jubilee, there are live bands/ people that play, food stands, arts and crafts vendors, a car show, a corn hole tournament, amusement rides, costume contests, face painting, clowns, kiddie rides, and inflatables.The live entertainment for this year will be Charlie Daniel’s Band, Robert Randolph & The Family Band, and a country singer named Cody Webb. The community comes together to make a Halloween event for the whole city to come and have a good time.

Here at North Augusta, students and teachers love getting involved with Halloween festivities. Of course, Mrs. Laxson loves Halloween! Like many others, one of her favorite Halloween movies is Nightmare Before Christmas. She said her favorite thing about Halloween is “carving pumpkins with my kids, and now grandkids. I also really like to scare people, especially Mrs. Gambill, on Halloween, and watch scary movies.”  Mrs. Wilson loves going trick-or-treating with her nieces and nephews. “I love the colors of Halloween and of course, the candy!”

Jeremiah Leyda’s (12th) favorite thing about Halloween is the haunted houses and watching people get scared.“My family really just turns the lights off so no one knows we are home.” states Jeremiah. Abby Thornton’s favorite movie is the Halloweentown High, she also stated that “I like to pass out candy at my house then go to a Halloween party afterwards.”

Definitely go check out the Jack-O-Lantern Jubilee on Friday 27th, 2017, and Saturday 28th, 2017 for a fun time! Eat some candy apples, drink some apple cider, and hang out with your friends while listening to some music and playing games!