Student News The Student Way

Junior Students Celebrate the Best Years of Their Life at the Class of 2019 Ring Ceremony

October 23, 2017

Ashlyn Gambrell, Reagan Gambrell, Rebbecca Sanchez, Megan Penner, Rosemary Peel, Kathrine McGhee, and Sarah Silvester flaunt what they consider to be

Ashlyn Gambrell, Reagan Gambrell, Rebbecca Sanchez, Megan Penner, Rosemary Peel, Kathrine McGhee, and Sarah Silvester flaunt what they consider to be "best years of their lives."

One of the most traditional ways to symbolize high school pride in the United States of America, and to remember your high school years, is to wear a stylish class ring. To several individuals, high school rings resemble a massive steppingstone in ones life. After all, it is frequently stated in one way or another that these years go by fast, and that we shouldn’t wish them away. These are the years we will remember. The ceremony in itself is a joyful memory being made.

Many third year students at North Augusta High School continue to recall their favorite parts of this previous Thursday’s (October 18, 2017) ring ceremony.

“My favorite part about the ring ceremony was walking down the aisle to receive my ring with my twin sister, Claire, and realizing all we have accomplished together side by side,” recalled Meagan Valentine. “It made it 10 times better that we saw our rings for the first time, because it was secretly designed by our parents!” 

“My favorite part was when all of us were in the bleachers, and we stood up, and got to open and wear the rings,”  said Alondra Rodriguez. “It was a bitter-sweet moment for the class of 2019.” 

As tradition, someone significant to you is supposed to present you your ring.

“My parents presented my ring because it’s the second most important ring I’ll ever get, and they are the most important and influential people to me,” commented Maddy Noland.

Some students also purchase companionship rings. Companion rings are traditionally given to loved ones such as a significant other or guardian.

Maddy Noland stated, “I did receive a companion ring, and gave mine to my boyfriend for the sake of our high-school memories.”  

Multiple students feel lead to wear their rings on their right ring finger as a symbolic act of pride.

Zack Franklin of the junior class stated, “I’ll wear it often, because it symbolizes my devotion to my school and to uphold the name of North Augusta so long as I wear it.”

To the majority of students, the ring resembles much more than a chuck of metal worn on an individual’s finger.  Some believe the ring stands for  the hard work, effort, and pride that the North Augusta student body displays on the journey to graduation.

Abby Thornton expressed how she felt. “To me, the ring is symbolic because it ties me with another piece of my family.” Thornton further explains, “All my brothers got rings and I always thought I would be ‘grown up’ by then, and it warms my heart to know that not only am I ties with my family, but my Yellow Jacket family of ’19. Whether we make it or not, I love the memories we’ve made, and now he has a symbol of them.”  

Overall, North Augusta High School is filled with inspirational moments that shall never be forgotten. These fond memories will be cherished throughout the rest of these students’ lives, and in only a couple years, the class of 2019 will be able to look back and remember the best years of their lives.