Student News The Student Way

North Augusta Students Love Homecoming Sidewalk Art

October 12, 2017

Paige Chasm, Ariana Hill, and Amy Herring drawing a North Augusta wolf hybrid at the 2017 Homecoming Sidewalk Art.

Victoria Vance

Victoria Vance

Every year North Augusta High School students form groups, gather signatures, and display artistic talent through illustrations of their colorful imaginations. It seems that everyone becomes really excited towards the end of homecoming week, because they know they will soon be able to “chalk out” their creative sides. Friday’s Sidewalk Art event was no exception. The exotic, detailed artwork covering the track was an impressive showcase of  North Augusta High School’s artistic talent. 

“It lowers the stress level,” Grayson Johnson stated, “and sidewalk art is fun because everyone is [just] hanging out.”

Each drawing is a captured image of each individual student’s imagination. In the past, there have been several illustrations presenting what is present in the artist’s minds.  

This year several students became creative with their ideas. Amy Herring and her friends had a lot of fun drawing.

Amy Herring, a sophomore, got together with a group of friends and illustrated a detailed picture of a wolf-squirrel hybrid with a North Augusta banner on its tail.

Students who participated in Sidewalk art all seemed to have a blast. Fritz Rowell of the sophomore class happily drew an octopus in his sidewalk square.

Fritz Rowell exclaimed, “It was lit as heck!” 

Emily Garcia and her group illustrated the deep sea, including turtles.

Emily said, “It’s a really fun experience, and it lets us express our artistic abilities!”  

“It really brings us together as a community!”  Commented Emily Davidson, Junior.

Ralph Mabe, junior, joked, “The side of the walk is art!”   

Brianna Boyd exclaimed, “I love it because I get to show my creative side.”

Riley Robinson shared, “It’s really fun, and it’s good because everyone gets to relax and have fun.”

Several student participants, such as Laurel Wall from the sophomore class, made their themes about homecoming.

Laurel claimed, “Sidewalk art is a great way to express student’s creativity, and raise money for school.”

Every picture is unique each year. As new minds fill the same old track, new pictures bring old excitement to North Augusta High School.