Jacket Regiment Takes Philly and NYC

Jacket Regiment Gets hyped

Jacket Regiment Gets hyped

Amber McGruder, Desk Writer

Recently, our very own Jacket Regiment participated in the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day Parade. The Jacket Regiment left on November 22. The parade lasted close to  5 hours, but our band marched for almost two hours straight. The band played  “Up On the Rooftop,”  “Jolly Old St. Nicolas,” and for the TV spot, they gave a performance of “Sleigh Ride.” “It was almost two whole hours of nonstop playing and marching but it was worth it to represent our school,” Sophomore Ashlyn Ensley said.

When I asked Assistant Band Director Blake Fowler his thoughts on the importance of the band making it to Philadelphia,  he commented ” The Philly parade was really important for our band because there was so many people at the parade, the amount of spectators that were there watching probably surpasses every band competition we have ever done locally and every concert we have done here.  So that really put our band on more of a national stage to perform in front of all kinds of different people on TV and in Philly where it was broadcast locally and throughout the nation  and then here. It was really cool for our band to get experience and to perform for a huge crowd of people, also it’s great for stamina when you can march a long parade like that then you can almost do anything because if you can march for two hours well then you can march a 10 minute show or anything like that. So I think it was really important for us to march in the Philly parade to give our students an opportunity to do more than just the North Augusta Parade which is great but this Philly parade is huge and massive and had a lot of people there. I think it was really important for our students to perform for an audience like that .”

Jacket Regiment practiced almost every Monday leading up to the trip. I asked Drum line Junior Michael Nicholson how he felt marching in the parade, he replied, “It was an exhilarating experience, I like being there.”

The trip also consisted of the band sight seeing, so they did have a break. The Jacket Regiment also traveled to New York City to enjoy the wonderful Big Apple. This will be the last year for some students, they had a wonderful trip and were thankful for the opportunity and experience. For some Jacket Regiment members, it was their first big trip with the band. Band Director Chuck Deen told me that, “It’s one of our traditions so that every graduating class has the opportunity to go to Philadelphia and New York and to be in the parade because sometimes a lot of  people will never be able to go back to those places, so it gives them the opportunity to see them. Some people would never go unless it was with a trip like this.”