5 Study Tips to Help Pass Your Exams

Aaliyah Martin, Desk Writer

Around exam week, everyone stresses out about passing their exams while also getting ready for Winter Break, because they know their exam performance is vital to pass their year long classes.

“When I have an exam, I feel stressed because I feel like I have to make a good grade and it affects me and my mood,” said Caroline Peace (10).

Luckily, The Yellow Jacket Newspaper has some tips to help you along the path to success.

• Prepare ahead of time. Studying is a successful key to passing any test or exam. Studying improves your chance of passing by a lot! Get a head start on preparing, the sooner, the better!

• Manage your study time. Focus on one subject at a time, and in each subject focus on the main points that you need to focus on. Make a schedule if you can, and organize your time management. Also, have a day to study for each class, and try to work around your schedule.

“I mostly study on subjects I have trouble with. Studying has no time limit if you think about it. It just all depends on how much trouble you have on that particular subject,” stated Ashlyn Wright (10) when asked how she studies and how long it takes.

• Quiz yourself. Each time you get stuck, make yourself a practice test and try to take it and find your mistakes. Correcting yourself is important, you can improve yourself and your chance of making a better grade on the exam. You may also find upperclassmen to help you study.

“If I struggle with a class, I tend to study with others so they can help me to understand it, it’s a lot easier,” commented Morgan Tidwell (10).

• Get a good night’s rest/Eat a good breakfast. Before any exam, you should sleep well, for about 8-10 hours. During an exam, you shouldn’t be tired and fall asleep, because it can decrease you time, and maybe your knowledge of what’s on the exam.

• Get help. If you are unsure about anything on the exam or study guide, you should ask your teacher for help before you prepare to study! You should also ask your teacher if you have made any mistakes on the study guide, and let them help correct you.

One main issue is technology, during studying. My advice would be turn off your phone, and study to the best of your ability, so you are not distracted by technology. Be calm. Do NOT stress! (Don’t overthink the question. Trust your instinct.)