Everything North Augusta High School.

The Yellow Jacket

2016 Election

Dillon Mcdonald, Desk Writer

What a year we have experienced!  A campaign and election that will go down in history as one of the most vicious campaigns this country has ever witnessed.  We have two major political parties in this country, the Republican and the Democrat.  We also saw candidates from the Reform Party, Libertarian Party and the Green Party.

Following a vicious campaign, with seventeen candidates, the Republican Party nominated Donald Trump as their candidate for President and Mike Pence as Vice President.  The Democratic Party, with only two candidates, nominated Hillary Rodham Clinton, the first female nominated by a major party to run for the office of President and Tim Kaine as Vice President.  The Reform Party nominated Rocky De La Fuente, the Libertarian Party nominated Gary Johnson, with William Weld as Vice President and the Green Party nominated Jill Stein, with Ajamu Baraka as Vice President.

On November 8, 2016, following a year like none other, the race for President came to a vote.  The voters of American have spoken and Donald Trump is our new President Elect.

Election night drama started at 7:00 p.m., with Clinton having three electoral votes and Trump with nineteen electoral votes.  As Eastern Standard Time reached 9:00 p.m., we found Clinton with forty eight electoral votes and Trump with sixty-six electoral votes.  At 10:30 p.m., Fox News announced that Trump had won the major swing state of Ohio, putting the electoral votes at one hundred and nine to one hundred and forty, with Trump in the lead.  Things were beginning to get tense.  Holding everyone in suspense, major swing states like North Carolina, Florida, Texas and Virginia were going back and forth from red (Republican) to blue (Democratic).  News commentators were in awe of how fast things were changing.  In the early hours of Wednesday morning, November 9, 2016, the race was called and our new President Elect became Donald Trump.  With forty-nine of fifty one of the races called, Clinton earned two hundred twenty eight electoral votes and Donald Trump earned two hundred and ninety electoral votes.  Donald Trump had reached the necessary two hundred and seventy votes needed to win.

The President of the United States was not the election being voted on.  There were many seats in the Senate and House “up for grabs”.  The Republican Party dominated in all races.  This country will have a Republican President, with a majority of Republicans in the House and the Senate.  This election also rendered a majority of Republican Governors.

After a long fought battle, spanning over a year of campaigning, our country is ready to begin a new year to “Make America Great Again”!

Everything North Augusta High School.
2016 Election